Friday, February 20, 2009

Morons in Mumbai


I kept this image from a news site (MSNBC I think) about the Mumbai hotel massacre. I wanted to comment on it at the time, but out of respect for the victims, I thought a little time should go by first before I put in my two cents.

Its been long enough.

I saw a lot of photos like the one in this post. Some idiot, calling themselves a "commando", casually firing a full auto over their head. With no cover. And one handed. At no obvious or visible targets.

No wonder it was a massacre.

The police force responding to the hotel situation was a complete, total, wretched joke. Worthless. Far worse than pathetic. I saw a bunch of hapless morons so painfully obviously untrained in the basic and proper use of firearms it made me shudder. This was the best "tactical response" team in the country? For a national emergency, this is who they collected as their go team? What clustertwats trained them on suppressive and/or cover fire? Did their training regimen use too many big words? What crackerjack box did these nimrods get their badges out of?

I knew those people in the hotel were going to die. There was no way a loose bunch of idiots like this could pull off a wrapper from a stick of gum, let alone pull off "securing a center".

Which brings me to my point for today. Situations like this are why most law enforcement departments in America (and even individuals in the departments) go for training so often. Very often. And sometimes at their own personal expense. To be able to handle a real-world situation such as this. To give innocents caught by some random monster a chance to live.

Mumbai police are case exhibit A on what an untrained, unmotivated, and unrehearsed police force is capable of.

Absolutely nothing. Absolute failure.

The next time somebody in your hometown complains about the local police wanting a little more equipment, a little more training, or even the ability to send one or two officers to a special event, please consider sending a quick letter to the local newspaper. Or speak up at a city council meeting.

Like the old saying goes... hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

(Edit: Mirrored a week late to blogspot.com.)

No comments: